Powered Up Baraboo
Mission and Purpose
Recognizing the dire consequences of continued climate change to life on this planet and the role of greenhouse gases in contributing to climate change, Powered Up Baraboo, Inc. seeks to increase the use of renewable energy and environmentally sustainable practices in the Baraboo and Sauk County area through education, advocacy, grants/fundraising, and other volunteer efforts. We use 2030 as the focus of our efforts.
By 2030, the Baraboo area will achieve carbon net zero as a result of projects in seven action categories.
- Norms. Residents of all ages, both long-term and new, will recognize Baraboo's community norms of energy savings, alternative energy use, and waste reduction as individual behaviors to be routinely observed, and will help promote and expand those community norms.
- Environmental conservation. Individual residents of all ages will understand the value of protecting the natural environment in order to protect all life on earth. (community and school education, carbon sequestration)
- Residences. Baraboo area homeowners, landlords and renters, both long-term and new, will be able to quickly get the help they need to achieve maximum energy efficiency for their place of residence.
- Schools. Baraboo area schools will routinely implement energy efficiency and waste reduction practices in classrooms, support services and construction and shift to renewable energy use.
- Baraboo area businesses and manufacturers will serve as ethical models of “best practices” for waste reduction, energy efficiency and adoption of alternative energy use.
- Baraboo area landowners and municipalities will expand existing conservation practices to protect soil, water and air quality, and to sequester carbon.
- Baraboo area municipalities and townships will significantly increase their energy efficiency and waste reduction practices, as well as significantly increase their use of alternative energy. Powered Up Baraboo will explore creation of a City of Baraboo standing Committee by 2022 to further implement the Natural Step resolution adopted in 2007.
Stay Connected with Powered Up Baraboo!
Connect with Powered Up Baraboo by signing on to receive periodic updates. Find out about events and action team efforts you can be part of!